- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0+ on a 4.0 scale
- Applicants with undergraduate GPAs below 3.0 are requested to submit a statement detailing readiness for graduate school.
- The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) IS NOT required for admission to Master of Divinity degree programs.
- Candidates in the ELCA who are preparing for ordination are required to be a part of the candidacy process with their synod. A positive entrance decision is expected before admission to the seminary.
2. Start your application
Complete the online application form to get the process started. You can save your progress and return to complete your online application at any time.
- January 15, 2019
3. Transcripts and recommendations
Please request official transcripts from every college or university from which you have received credit. Transcripts should be sent directly from the college or university to the Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108).
- A recommendation from a pastor
- A recommendation from a teacher (or professional reference if applicant’s most recent academic experience is more than five years ago)
- A recommendation from a non-family person
We strongly encourage you to use the online recommendation forms by providing an email address and phone number for each recommender. Use your ID Number and login for MyLutherNet (included in the email confirming receipt of your initial application form) to request recommendations via email.
Alternate method: If it is not possible to request electronic recommendations, you may download the PDF version and share it with your recommenders. Ask them to submit the completed form directly to the Admissions Office (email@example.com or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108)
4. Entrance essay or faith statement
Candidates for ministry in the ELCA or other denominations should submit their candidacy entrance essay once the initial application form has been received. If you do not have an entrance essay, please submit a faith statement.
Submit your entrance essay or faith statement as a Word doc or PDF to the Admissions Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail (2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108). Please include your login number (included in your initial application confirmation email) with your essay.
The faith statement is a three- to five-page autobiographical essay on the significant events and people in your life that have nourished faith in Christ, given a sense of God’s call, and brought you to apply for seminary admission.
The faith statement should include:
- a description of your present relationship to the church
- a brief self-assessment of strengths and limitations as a candidate for church leadership
- reasons for interest in study at Luther Seminary
- a summary of future plans for ministry
- a one-page statement outlining your personal faith and theological convictions
5. Candidacy and Authorization for Release
All applicants are required to fill out an Authorization for Release form online.
Candidates for ministry in the ELCA should send their entrance decision paperwork to email@example.com.
6. Once your application is complete
When the application is received, the prospective student will be sent an email notice which includes login instructions for MyLutherNet. The MyLutherNet site allows applicants to track which documents are still required for admission. Applicants may contact the Admissions Office to check the status of their applications.
Qualified candidates will be asked to participate in interviews taking place February 2019.
When the application is complete, including the interview, it will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee. The official admission decisions are communicated to applicants by regular mail starting March 2019.