- You must have a previous graduate-level theological degree from an accredited theological school. This could be a Master of Arts (in theological studies), Master of Divinity, or Bachelor of Divinity degree (or its equivalent).
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0+ on a 4.0 scale for the first degree(s) in theology
- Congregational and Community Care applicants only: One unit of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) in an approved, accredited program is a prerequisite for admission to the Congregational and Community Care area of study
2. Start your application
Complete the online application form to get the process started. You can save your progress and return to complete your online application at any time.
- Fall term: June 15
- Spring term: December 1
Completed applications with all supporting documents will be considered.
Once your initial application is received, you will be sent an email that walks you through the next steps in the application process and provides login instructions for MyLutherNet, where you can track your application progress.
3. Statement of intent
The statement of intent is a one- or two-paragraph statement indicating your plans for study and the projected year for completion of the requirements for the M.Th. program.
Submit your statement of intent as a Word doc or PDF to the Admissions Office by email (email@example.com) or by mail (2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108).
Please include your login number (included in your initial application confirmation email) with your statement of intent.
4. Transcripts and letters of recommendation
Please request official transcripts from every undergraduate and graduate school from which you have received credit. Transcripts should be sent directly to the Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108).
Applicants who graduated from Luther Seminary within 20 years from the time of application may submit a transcript release authorization form (Word doc) to the Office of the Registrar for release of your undergraduate transcript(s).
Submit letters of recommendation
Three letters of academic recommendation should be sent to the Office of Admissions.
You’ll need to download the PDF version and share it with your recommenders. Ask them to submit the completed form directly to the Admissions Office (email@example.com or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108)
5. Once your application is complete
Once all of your materials are received, your application will be reviewed at the next regularly scheduled admissions committee meeting. You will be notified of their decision within one business day of the meeting.
If you are accepted (congratulations!), you will be asked to:
- Send an affirmation of intent to the Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108); and
- Submit a deposit or deposit waiver to confirm your intent to enroll.