- Bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0+ on a 4.0 scale
- The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) IS NOT required for admission to Master of Divinity degree programs.
- International Students — please see International Student Applications
2. Start your application
Complete the online application form to get the process started. You can save your progress and return to complete your online application at any time.
Applications for Fall 2019 are now open:
- Early Priority Deadline: December 15th, 2018
- Distinguished Scholarship Deadline: January 15th, 2019
- Application Deadline: April 1st, 2019
- Final Application Deadline: June 15, 2019
Completed applications with all supporting documents will be considered.
Once your initial application is received, you will be sent an email that walks you through the next steps in the application process and provides login instructions for MyLutherNet, where you can track your application progress.
3. Transcripts and recommendations
Please request official transcripts from every college or university from which you have received credit. Transcripts should be sent directly from the college or university to the Admissions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108).
- A recommendation from a pastor
- A recommendation from a teacher (or professional reference if applicant’s most recent academic experience is more than five years ago)
- A recommendation from a non-family person
We strongly encourage you to use the online recommendation forms by providing an email address and phone number for each recommender. Use your ID Number and login for MyLutherNet (included in the email confirming receipt of your initial application form) to request recommendations via email.
Alternate method: If it is not possible to request electronic recommendations, you may download the PDF version and share it with your recommenders. Ask them to submit the completed form directly to the Admissions Office (email@example.com or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108)
4. Entrance essay or faith statement
Candidates for ministry in the ELCA or other denominations should submit their candidacy entrance essay once the initial application form has been received. If you do not have an entrance essay, please submit a faith statement.
Submit your entrance essay or faith statement as a Word doc or PDF to the Admissions Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by mail (2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108). Please include your login number (included in your initial application confirmation email) with your essay.
The faith statement is a three- to five-page autobiographical essay on the significant events and people in your life that have nourished faith in Christ, given a sense of God’s call, and brought you to apply for seminary admission.
The faith statement should include:
- a description of your present relationship to the church
- a brief self-assessment of strengths and limitations as a candidate for church leadership
- reasons for interest in study at Luther Seminary
- a summary of future plans for ministry
- a one-page statement outlining your personal faith and theological convictions
5. Once your application is complete
Once all of your materials are received, your application will be reviewed at the next regularly scheduled admissions committee meeting. You will be notified of their decision within three business days of the meeting.
If you are accepted (congratulations!), you will be asked to:
- Send an affirmation of intent to the Admissions Office (email@example.com or 2481 Como Ave., Saint Paul, MN 55108); and
- Submit a deposit or deposit waiver to confirm your intent to enroll.